A little girl who woke to the smell of smoke early Friday morning is being called a hero after she alerted her family to a fire at her home in the 2500 block of Fig Street.

The fire broke out just after 4:45 a.m. at the duplex apartment where 11-year old Miracle Mauk and her family live. Fire officials said the blaze ignited outside, and made its way into the attic upstairs.

Miracle, who has asthma, was awakened to the smell of smoke and woke everybody up just in time.

"I tried to go back to sleep, and then I started smelling smoke," Miracle said. "Then I saw it, so I tried to wake up my brothers. I woke up my parents and my little sisters to tell them to go check on my brothers and to see where it's coming from."

Four adults and five children were inside the duplex home home at the time. Fire investigators said the fire started in the back of the building and two men who lived at the duplex tried to put out the fire using pots filled with water. Eventually, the fire increased in size, and that's when Miracle noticed the smoke.

After Miracle woke her parents, her mother, Crystal Mauk, called 911. Her mother said she is thankful that her daughter woke them up in time because the home did not have smoke detectors.

"I'm very proud of my daughter," Crystal said. "Like, as she was trying to wake them up first, that was the main thing. So I'm very proud of my daughter."

One firefighter had to be transported to the hospital by ambulance to be treated for heat exhaustion. Aside from that, no one was injured in the blaze. Firefighters were able to get the fire under control in about 20 minutes.