Emergency crews responded to a house fire in the 6600 block of Kodiak on the city's southside Friday. The fire broke out at around 11:15 a.m., and firefighters had the blaze under control in about 15 minutes.
There were six cats and two dogs in the home at the time of the fire. Firefighters took the pets to the veterinarian in unknown condition.
According to firefighters, the homeowner was baking bread and left to run errands, leaving the bread maker unattended. That's what sparked the fire.
"If you are baking something, baking something or cooking something, don't leave it unattended," said Battalion Chief Frank Rodriguez of the Corpus Christi Fire Department. "Have someone responsible there or wait until it's done. I wouldn't leave something unattended."
Investigators said the kitchen suffered serious damage.