Another big danger during cold snaps like this one is carbon monoxide. It's an odorless gas produced by fuel burning heating systems. Carbon monoxide poisoning kills about 500 people each year and at least 15 thousand suffer from accidental exposure, most from heating systems. It's recommended you have your furnace professionally serviced each year and install working carbon monoxide detectors in your home. If you are exposed to carbon monoxide it could at first seem like you are coming down with the flu. Also, if you use some kind of gasoline powered generator for heat during something like a power outage make sure you keep it from away from your home.