Students at Falfurrias High School had to be sent home early on Friday because of some construction work going on at the school, which they said was making them sick.

In fact, some environmental experts were at the site conducting tests to see if everything was in fact safe for students. Students said they were having negative reactions to the construction all week.

"Yesterday, I came to school and everything was falling and I reacted, so I had to leave today because it was getting swollen," Falfurrias Junior Julissa DeLeon said.

"Some of my friends got like hives, and like complaining about their chest tightening," Falfurrias Sophomore Christopher Lopez said.

Superintendent David Perry said there have been 30 students that have had to be picked up from school by their parents because of their negative reactions to the work being done. He said that those students mostly have allergies and asthma.

On Friday, the school handed out protective facial masks for the students. One student, Julissa DeLeon, showed a negative reaction around her eye that the construction had caused. Perry also said a handful of teachers were effected.

"I think that what it is is just normal dust, and that that's the problem, but I don't have any proof of that, or any scientific tests that have been done," Perry said. "That's why we've called in a professional company to come in and actually test it, so that we can speak with some authority."

The $10 million construction project includes work being done both outside and inside of the school, that include a new roof being put on the school. The superintendent said that the work has to be done during the school year, and that it all can't be done during the summer time. He also said there are strict rules in place to protect the students, with regards to where they're not allowed to walk on campus, and the construction workers, for example, are not allowed to interact with the students or even use their bathrooms.

Perry said ACI, which is an air quality company, arrived on campus at around 4 p.m. to begin testing the atmosphere. The results of those tests are not in yet. Perry said they don't want to take any chances and that the health and safety of the students is their number one priority.