A resident who just barely escaped a raging house fire last Thursday on French Drive in Corpus Christi spoke with 3News Tuesday.

The residents were renting the property and planning on buying it when a car in the garage exploded. It left them homeless, with little more than the clothes on their backs.

The Dent family had only lived there for four months, completely renovating the entire house and prepping it for a big Halloween party. That's when the unexpected happened. A classic Corvette in the garage exploded.

While they thankfully did not lose each other, they lost parts of their family and pieces of their heart that day.

Cara Dent reflected Tuesday about what happened that day. She and her mechanic had been working on her landlord's classic Corvette so they could move it from the garage. They got the engine up and running.

"I was so happy that it was getting out of my garage, and the next thing you know, the carburator just blows up," Dent said. "It's a big boom!"

The carpet under the car burst into flames, smoke quickly filling up the home.

Dent is an animal lover who works at Peewees Pet Adoption, and was mom to three dogs, two prairie dogs and a cat.

"They got scared so I grabbed the first one I could and threw her in the car," Dent said.

Dent tried to go back inside for her other animals and was barely able to see through the smoke when the roof collapsed on her head. She realized she couldn't go back in.

She lost her best friend, her Golden Retreiver Big Z.

Now, Dent is focusing on the postitive. She was able to save her parents' old pictures. Best of all, strangers have been stopping by to help her and her husband.

"I want to give a big thank you to them. Without them I don't know where we would be," Dent said.

If you would like to help the Dent family in any way, Peewee's Pet Adoption is taking monetary donations, and the Everhart Animal Hospital is collecting items for them.