Alice High School Students Evacuated Due to Blown Internal Transformer

Students at Alice High School were dismissed for the day after an internal transformer malfunctioned in the school's mechanical room, causing a power outage just after noon Tuesday.

The Alice Police and Fire departments, along with the Jim Wells County Sheriff's Office, were dispatched to the campus just after noon in response to reports of smoke and the smell of burnt plastic. Once there, crews discovered the blown transformer.

According to Alice Fire Chief Dean Van Nest, the smoke inside of the school was caused by the malfunctioning transformer, but thankfully there was no fire. The cause of that malfunction is unknown, and is being investigated.

Meanwhile, students were evacuated from the campus and sent to the Alice High School stadium. By around 1 p.m., school officials announced the students' dismissal for the rest of the day as parents lined up to pick up their kids.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment