Crews Respond to Fire at Apartment Complex Behind Ray High School

Fire crews responded to a single-unit apartment fire just before 10 a.m. Monday in the first floor of the Seville Apartment on the 600 block of Gordon Street, behind Ray High School.

The residents had gone out to HEB and upon their return, they found the mattress in the apartment bedroom smoldering. They tried to put it out, and a neighbor even used a fire extinguisher on it, but they couldn't put out the fire.

"One of the roommates was outside saying, 'There's a fire. There's a fire,' and I just grabbed the extinguisher and that's when I saw the mattress on fire," neighbor Alexandra Lee said.

"I woke up and it was like, it was surreal. It was very surreal," resident Victoria Lee said. "You don't expect to wake up to smoke and 'get out, there's a fire!' You don't expect it. You don't expect it. It was terrifying."

The Corpus Christi Fire Department was called out to the scene, where firefighters quickly extinguished the flames and drug the mattress out of the apartment.

The single apartment unit sustained heavy smoke and water damage, but was the only unit affected by the blaze.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment