Electrical Outlet Sparks Fire Scare at Alice Police Department

The Alice Fire Department responded to a call at the local police department after a faulty plug caused smoke to come from the building's computer room Thursday.

Personnel had to be evacuated for safety, and dispatch operations were transferred to the Jim Wells County Sheriff's Department.

Officials said the electrical short was contained to one outlet, and the circuit was isolated. Fire Chief Dean Van Nest said they are lucky the outlet sparked when it did.

"No smoke inhalation, no major facility damage, so, I mean this is the good part about early detection," Van Nest said. "If this would have happened, two o'clock in the morning, it could have been a totally different story."

The police department said that within two hours, the electrical issue was repaired and normal operations were resumed.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment