Family of Four Forced Out of Home After Fire in Ingleside

A fire in Ingleside forced a single father and his three children out of their home on Thursday.

It happened just after 11 a.m. on the 2300 block of W. Lake Drive. Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to one room, but there was still a good amount of damage, and because of that, the family will have to find another place to stay.

The father said he was home with his youngest son when his boy told him he burned his hand. According to fire officials, when he went to investigate, he discovered smoke coming from the child's room.

"The owner's cell phone was in the structure," said Captain John Meenaghan of the Ingleside Fire Department. "He screamed out to a neighbor, called 911. Very fast response."

Firefighters were on the scene within minutes, allowing them to keep the fire from spreading to the rest of the home, but there is now nothing left in the child's room. There is also heavy smoke damage throughout the rest of the house.

As fire officials look into what sparked the blaze, the American Red Cross has been called in to assist this single father of three.

"It is hard just looking at it, walking through it," said Jesus Martinez, the father. "Stomach drops. Everything you have."

Martinez said the fire started near an air conditioning unit in the boy's room. Luckily, his other two sons, ages 10 and 12, were visiting their aunt and were not home. Martinez is just glad he was able to get out with his youngest.

The family plans to stay with relatives on Thursday night.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment