Family of Seven Loses Trailer Home to Fire in Sarita, Texas

A fire in Kenedy County destroyed a mobile home that a family of seven had been living in for many years, along with all of their possessions.

It happened Friday afternoon in Sarita, Texas. The home was a total loss.

There was a four-month old baby girl in the trailer when the fire began, but fortunately, she made it out okay.

The blaze charred everything in its path, destroying clothing, furniture and appliances. It was believed to have been caused by some faulty electrical outlet wiring in the living room sometime Friday afternoon.

Glenda Gonzalez, who lived in the home, said she and her husband were at work at the time of the fire. Her 20-year old daughter, seven-year old son and four-moth old daughter were at home when the fire started. The seven-year old was the first to see the flames.

The 20-year old daughter told her younger sibling to get out as she tried to put out the fire, but the flames were already too high.

"So she ran back to our bedroom to pick up our four-month old baby girl," Gonzalez said. "As she ran out, she goes, 'By the time I came back towards the living room, the smoke was just unbearable.' So she got my baby, and she put her against her chest so that way she wouldn't inhale that smoke, and she just ran out. As she was running out, she says that all the windows were popping."

Fortunately, everyone was able to get out okay, and the two other kids that live there were not home at the time of the fire; but the home is a total loss, and the family does not have insurance and are in need of help.

A benefit account has been set up at Kleberg Bank in the name of Glenda Gonzalez.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment