Fire Spreads from American Legion Hall to Nearby Business

Firefighters in Kingsville responded to a fire that broke out overnight at the American Legion Post 99 building in the 200 block of East Shelton Street. The fire later spread to a nearby business.

According to firefighters, the blaze started in the attic at around 3 a.m. Monday, and it took them a couple of hours to get the fire under control.

"We ran into some problems in the second part of the building because it had a flat roof that they built a pitch roof over, and by the time we found that, I had to pull my guys out because fire was over them in the attic," said Captain Roel Carrion of the Kingsville Fire Department.

Fire crews said the flames were so intense that it sparked another building fire at a paint and body shop on the opposite side of the American Legion hall.

"The fire was so massive that it came over to my shop and it just spread," shop owner Arsenio Mireles said. "It spread on that tar roof and it took off, and there was no stopping it after that."

Mireles said he lost some expensive tools.

Meanwhile, some firefighters were able to recover some pictures and scrapbooks from the American Legion Hall. There has been no word yet as to what started the fire.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment