After their child is severely burned, parents remind beachgoers of fire safety

Family reminds beach-goers about fire safety

CORPUS CHRISTI (KIII NEWS) - The crackling of campfires is a typical sound of summer.

For the Dodd family, it was a small campfire like this that severely injured their now 7-year-old son Wendell.

In February 2016, they were barbecuing and camping with friends on Padre Island and they let their campfire burn itself out overnight.

12 hours later, the nightmare began.

Justin Dodd, Wendall's father, said, "we heard him screaming and he was limping over towards us".

Wendell had been playing catch with his friends, and their ball had landed over by the fire pit.

His feet slid under the sand while playing and he said he felt burning from the coals that were buried hours earlier.

Kiii Reporter Briana Whitney spoke with the Dodds, and shares their story.

 

© 2017 KIII-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
TRENDING VIDEOS