CORPUS CHRISTI (KIII NEWS) - Emergency crews were called to the area of Sedwick and Clarkwood roads Tuesday morning for a HazMat incident involving a hydrogen sulfide leak.
Authorities said a survey worker for a transmission line company may have been exposed to Hydrogen sulfide, or H2S, and transported himself to the hospital.
Hazmat incident working in the area of Sedwick Road and Clarkwood Road. Please avoid the area. pic.twitter.com/0NNM8jY7RV— Corpus Christi PD (@CorpusChristiPD) September 12, 2017
According to the OSHA website, "Hydrogen sulfide is a colorless, flammable, extremely hazardous gas with a "rotten egg" smell. It occurs naturally in crude petroleum and natural gas, and can be produced by the breakdown of organic matter and human/ animal wastes (e.g., sewage). It is heavier than air and can collect in low-lying and enclosed, poorly ventilated areas such as basements, manholes, sewer lines and underground telephone/electrical vaults."
A crew was sent to locate the leak and did pick up readings of H2S. They said it could be a hole left by an animal, and they are continuing to test it.
Officials said there is no threat to the public, and that the hospital said the worker is okay.
© 2017 KIII-TV