CORPUS CHRISTI (KIII NEWS) - Corpus Christi Fire Department hazmat crews were called out to the area of McBride and Leopard Monday morning after receiving reports of a strong smell of ammonia in the area.
The ammonia was being released from a cooling unit at South Texas Cold Storage. A shelter-in-place advisory was put in place in the areas between McBride and Navigation, and Agnes and I-37.
Shelter in Place Perimeter is now McBride to Navigation, Agnes to 37. See Map. CCFD is handling this incident. pic.twitter.com/LfLRDQubt4— Corpus Christi PD (@CorpusChristiPD) June 12, 2017
The CCFD provided 3News with forward looking infrared, or FLIR, footage that made the plume of ammonia visible using a thermograpic camera. Officials said the pressure in the system was set to release in order to prevent a pressure build up and potential explosion. The system was working properly but released pressure at the wrong time.
Firefighters had to shut off valves to stop the flow of ammonia and air pressure.
© 2017 KIII-TV