CORPUS CHRISTI (KIII NEWS) - A Flour Bluff woman is without a home and several pets after a fire erupted Wednesday night that engulfed her trailer on the 900 block of Behmann.
Donna Dupree said she and her dog are lucky to be alive, but unfortunately, four of her other dogs did not make it.
"Thank God I'm alive. Thank God for my caring neighbors and everyone that was here to help," Dupree said.
Just before 6 p.m. Dupree smelled burning and believed someone was barbecuing outside, but a couple of minutes later she realized it was not a barbeque.
"I heard my neighbors yelling, so I got up and got out of the bedroom, " Dupree said. "I saw the smoke and flames in the ceiling, and I grabbed one of my dogs and got him out."
Dupree tried to circle her house to grab her other dogs, but she could not get all of the dogs.
Halfway through fire crews putting out the fire a propane tank exploded.
"I heard it, I felt the rumble, you could feel it, " neighbor William Neisser said.
Neighbors said flames went as high as 30 feet in the air.
Firefighters were able to put out the fire in less than 15 minutes, but the home was a total loss; in a short period, Dupree lost everything.
"I just gotta start over because I made it out, " Dupree said. "All of this is still sinking in, but my dogs, everything I owned and my ex-husband's ashes were in there."
The Red Cross was at the scene to assist Dupree during the fire. Dupree said she will be staying at the home of a relative in the meantime.
The fire is currently under investigation.
Stay connected with 3News for the latest news, sports, and weather. Download the KIII-TV 3News app now.
© 2017 KIII-TV