Man Accused in Fatal Stabbing Wrongfully Arrested

A man accused in a fatal stabbing in Flour Bluff this week was freed on Friday, after a witness who first gave police a positive identification admitted he made a mistake.

Now, another man has turned himself in to face charges.

That witness revelation came to light Friday afternoon after police were contacted and told of the mistake, but by then, 47-year old Mark Baker had already made his first court appearance to be arraigned and a higher bond set by the judge.

It was just on Thursday when U.S. Marshals took Baker into custody as he showed up for work at Timon's Ministries, where he serves as a cook. Baker had been accused of fatally stabbing 24-year old Samuel Moore near Waldron Road and Fawn Drive on Tuesday evening.

Baker appeared in the 214th district court for arraignment Friday morning, but by the afternoon, a witness confirmed to police that they had the wrong guy. So the district attorney quickly filed a no charge motion with the court, citing erroneous identification by a witness.

Baker was being held in jail on a $140,000 bond, but was released.

As far as the man who turned himself in to police, his attorneys, Joe Perry and Rick Dodson, walked him into the police detention center.

"Our client is Marty Worford. He realized when he saw in the news that another man had been falsely arrested for this crime, that he had no alternative but to turn himself in so that he could face these charges," attorney Joe Perry said. "He knew it was the only way that he could clear himself and clear his name. We have just begun his investigation, but anticipate a vigorous defense on Mr. Worford's behalf."

At this moment, Worford is being questioned at the city detention center, where he will be formally arrested and have a bond amount set.

As for the man who was wrongfully arrested, Mark Baker, he is now a free man.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment