Mold Complaint Prompts Changes at Driver's License Office

An apparent mold problem at the local Department of Public Safety's Driver's License Office has prompted some big changes there. The problem was discovered after 3News received an anonymous viewer complaint that mold in the building was making workers sick.

Kiii News Reporter Brian Burns investigated that claim and went Live from the Driver's License Office with more on what was uncovered.

A viewer sent 3News some pictures on Facebook, which we showed to DPS officials earlier this week. The pictures showed water stains on a ceiling tile and places on the floor where the water had pooled.

The post said that workers believed the stains represented mold and was creating an awful smell, and that the mold was making workers ill, with complaints including headaches, trouble breathing, itchy throat and eyes and redness of the skin.

After showing the pictures to DPS officials, we were told a company replacing the building's roof had caused a new leak last weekend, which allowed the water to pool. Late Wednesday afternoon, DPS officials sent pictures showing a new ceiling tile and a clean floor where the water stains had been.

3News was also told that the air quality would be tested to make sure that there are no lingering problems.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment