Suspect in Double Shooting Makes First Court Appearance

The man accused in a double shooting that left one man dead Friday night in the 2900 block of Easley Street made his first court appearance Tuesday.

A translator was present in the courtroom as 26-year old Jesus Garcia, who U.S. Border Patrol agents confirmed is a Mexican national, was officially charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, evading arrest and murder, and given a total bond of $640,000.

According to an arrest affidavit, Garcia and his wife were having an argument in the backyard of a home in the 2800 block of Carver Street Friday night. When 26-year old Mario Colchado-Garcia showed up to assist, Jesus Garcia pulled out a gun and shot his wife, striking her in the back, her right hand and grazing her left shoulder. He then shot Mario Garcia in the head.

Mario Garcia's brother saw the shooting occur. He was still getting fired upon when he attempted to shield Mario Garcia and carried him from the scene. Mario Garcia was pronounced dead shortly after midnight.

The affidavit then states that Jesus Garcia got into a blue Isuzu Axiom and chased his wife as she fled down Easley Street to Blake Street, where he continued to shoot at her, striking a house in that area. He then fled the scene.

At that time, a Corpus Christi police officer was arriving at the scene and was told that Jesus Garcia's vehicle was on the next street. He heard approximately three shots fired and then saw the suspect vehicle in a vacant lot. The vehicle backed out and fled, and the police officer gave chase. The Corpus Christi Police Department released dash cam footage Tuesday of the high-speed chase.

The affidavit states that Garcia ran red lights and entered the freeway, reaching speeds up to 120 miles per hour. The pursuit got onto Highway 77 and ended about 12 miles south of the Sarita checkpoint, where Garcia bailed out of his vehicle and fled into the brush. The next morning, he called 911 from the brush stating he was lost. U.S. Border Patrol agents arrived and picked him up.

Garcia's wife has since been released from the hospital.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment