Corpus Christi fire officials are once again stressing the importance of having working smoke detectors in your home. This comes on the heels of two recent fires with very different outcomes.
Last week, more than 20 residents were left homeless as a result of the massive blaze at the Coastal Haven Senior Citizens Apartments on Middlecoff. Amazingly everyone made it out alive.
Firefighters said smoke detectors were a life-saving factor here. They provided an early warning, but just this past weekend, another fire at a home on Pinehurst claimed the life of an 81-year old man. Firefighters said they did not find any smoke detectors in his home.
"The key to survival is early notification," said Captain James Brown of the Corpus Christi Fire Department. "Have a plan. Once you hear those smoke detectors, get out of the house. Don't try to put the fire out yourself. Get out, go to your neighbor's house, call for help."
Experts say a smoke detector should be placed inside and just outside each bedroom of your home. It is also important to change out the battery every six months. A good reminder is to change them every time you change your clocks.
The fire department does have a program to help elderly residents who don't have smoke detectors. They will provide one for free.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 WorldNow and KIII. All Rights Reserved.