Faulty Electrical Wiring Causing Morning Attic Fire
CORPUS CHRISTI (Kiii News) -
The American Red Cross is helping out a family of five after their home on the 5400 block of Wharton Street was damaged by fire Thursday morning.
"A lot of water damage. Insulation everywhere. Nothing that can't be fixed," homeowner Otis Mizes said. "It could have been worse."
The homeowner said he was about to leave for work and drop his kids off at summer camp when he smelled smoke. He went outside to see if someone else's house was on fire, and then realized that the smell was coming from his attic.
Mizes rushed to get his wife and three kids out of the home, and then called firefighters.
First responders said the fire was caused by some faulty electrical wiring in the attic, and they were able to get it out in about 15 minutes.