A six-month old baby was rushed to Driscoll Children's Hospital after he was forgotten inside of a hot car by his grandmother.
The incident happened Wednesday evening, in the parking lot of the HEB on Alameda and Robert.
When officers arrived on the scene, they found the infant slumped over in his car seat, drenched in sweat but still breathing. It is not known how long the baby was inside by himself with no air conditioning.
The child's grandmother told police she dropped off the baby's mother at home and was unaware her grandchild was still in the car.
While the boy is expected to survive, the incident brings to light a dangerous situation seen all too often. Since 1998, there have been more than 500 children in the U.S. who have died as a result of heatstroke when left inside an unattended vehicle. Of those deaths, more than 50-percent happened because the child was forgotten inside of a vehicle.
On Thursday, temperatures in the Coastal Bend flirted with the 100 degree mark, but inside of a vehicle, temperatures can soar to 120 degrees in a matter of 10 minutes; even with the windows cracked.
A child's body absorbs heat faster than an adult's. Once their body temperature reaches 104 degrees, organs begin shutting down; and by 107 degrees, there can be fatal results.
How could a guardian leave a child in a car when temperatures are sweltering outside? That's the question many parents are asking after hearing about this latest incident.
Officials said to always take action when you see a child unattended inside a hot vehicle by calling police right away.
Also, use things like teddy bears, or even put your purse or cell phone in the backseat so that you never forget the life that is sitting right behind you.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 WorldNow and KIII. All Rights Reserved.