A two-alarm fire on the City's Southside broke out at around 4 p.m. Thursday, on the 6900 block of Eckner, near Rodd Field and Lipes.
Firefighters put in a second call for assistance when they arrived at the small cul-de-sac area made up of new homes that are being built. They said that high winds posed a problem, but once they got inside the home, they were able to battle the fire more thoroughly.
The blaze was large, generating a lot of heat, which caused some heat damage to neighboring houses. Firefighters sprayed water on neighboring houses to ensure that the flames could not spread to them.
The owner of the house confirmed that he was inside when the fire started.
"In the garage is where he first noticed smoke and fire. He did have some ammo stored in the garage, but it seemed to be just loose," said Captain James Brown of the Corpus Christi Fire Department. "There was a propane tank that he said exploded early on. It happened before firefighters arrived on the scene."
A firefighter sustained sprinkle burns to his neck. He was sent to the hospital as a precaution, but is expected to be fine and back on duty once he is discharged from the hospital.
The residents of the burning home were able to get out quickly and without problems, and neighbors also evacuated their homes to let firefighters do their jobs.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 WorldNow and KIII. All Rights Reserved.