A family of six that is now homeless after a fire at their home on Scapular Drive on Monday is in need of support. The fire happened around 7 p.m. Monday, and one person was injured.
Five-year old Sincere Gonzales was in the living room of the home when he saw the fire break out. He yelled for his grandmother, who had been outside smoking a cigarette earlier that evening. Little did she know that would end up burning her house down.
What made things worse, the neighborhood was without water. City workers had shut it off a few hours before to do some plumbing work in the area.
"We couldn't turn off the fire," said Christine Soliz, grandmother of the family of six. "We couldn't do anything about it because there was no water in the whole neighborhood."
The family of six made it out safely, and a neighbor was able to get city workers to turn the water back on. Neighbors soon began pitching in to put out the fire, but it was too late. The home was gone within minutes.
"I honestly believe if the water would have been on, it would not have been as bad," Soliz said.
Soliz suffered second degree burns. Everyone else was okay. For now, they are left with nothing, and are currently staying with family. They are hopeful that the community will be willing to help them start over.
"Take it one day at a time and see what happens," Soliz said. "I honestly don't know what we are going to do."
If you would like to help the Soliz family, you can contact them at 361-425-7757.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 WorldNow and KIII. All Rights Reserved.