Neighbors Save Elderly Couple from House Fire - KiiiTV.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

Neighbors Save Elderly Couple from House Fire

Posted: Updated:
CORPUS CHRISTI (Kiii News) -

An overnight fire at a home on the 1700 block left an elderly couple and their daughter homeless, but thankfully neighbors were able to pull the family out, and all injuries were minor.

The fire broke out at around 1 a.m. Tuesday. Fire officials believe that it might have started in the kitchen.

When the elderly woman living in the home woke up and smelled smoke, she told her husband, and as soon as he opened the door he saw flames in the hallway and yelled for help. The smoke detectors were not working. Their daughter was able to get out of the house and go get help.

Neighbors heard the screams and busted the windows, pulling the elderly lady and her husband out of the house. The family said that, without assistance from good samaritans, lives could have been lost.
 
"I could smell the smoke," said Tomas Gomez, a neighbor that helped rescue the couple. "I ran down here, called the cops. I had seen a lady hanging out the window. I put her on my shoulder, took her to the street and waited for cops and an ambulance to show up."

"We are just grateful that the neighbors helped and got them out of the house," said Barbara Seevers, the elderly couple's daughter.

The couple was taken to the hospital, suffering from smoke inhalation. One firefighter was transported to the hospital for heat exhaustion.

The house was totaled, and the American Red Cross is assisting the family with a temporary place to stay. The family did have insurance, but they have to wait until the adjusters come out.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KIII. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.