(CNN) - Attorneys for the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee and for the Justice Department told a federal judge in Washington Tuesday they have begun settlement talks on the lawsuit to force Attorney General Eric Holder to give the committee certain documents related to the "Fast and Furious" gun trafficking operation.
The lawyers told U.S. District Court Judge Amy Berman Jackson they had just begun the talks, and did not know whether they would make any progress.
At a brief, sparsely attended hearing in Washington the judge said she would make no comments and issue no rulings on the merits of the arguments brought by attorneys for committee Chairman Darrell Issa, and by Justice Department lawyers asking her to dismiss the committee's lawsuit.
Jackson scheduled a hearing for January 10th to discuss the status of the talks and other procedural issues.
The dispute results from the Justice Department's refusal to turn over certain documents related to the aftermath of the Justice Department's letter to Senator Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, in which top officials said there had been no instances of "gunwalking" in which U.S. authorities allowed illegally purchased weapons to be trafficked. But weapons did ultimately ended up in the hands of Mexican drug cartels. The Justice Department several months later withdrew the letter, and admitted gun-walking had occurred.
Fast and Furious was the name for a controversial gun sting that allowed hundreds of weapons to reach violent Mexican drug cartels.
It was led by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in 2009 and came to the public's attention after guns linked to the program were found at the site where a U.S. Border Patrol agent was killed.
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 WorldNow and KIII. All Rights Reserved.