Shooting Suspect Makes First Court Appearance - KiiiTV.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

Shooting Suspect Makes First Court Appearance

Posted: Updated:
CORPUS CHRISTI (Kiii News) -

A local 18-year old accused in a fatal shooting outside of a local convenience store last month had his first day in court at the Nueces County Courthouse Thursday.

The main crux of the hearing was whether there was enough evidence to keep the suspect behind bars until trial.

Jose Angel Macias is accused of shooting 21-year old Casimero Guerra outside of a Stripes convenience store back in November. Macias was seen on surveillance footage moments before the shooting.

On Thursday, the defense argued that there wasn't enough probable cause to hold Macias in jail, citing that there just isn't enough evidence.

"We ask that he be released. He is willing to be under monitoring. He has a good family support system here in town. He will report weekly, daily, whenever the court would require," the defense attorney said. "He can't just be held simply because they've not put their case together enough to justify charging him or holding him for this case, and of course he has not yet been indicted."

The court has given the district attorney another week to gather evidence and a witnesses to the case.

"The three essential players here have all given multiple statements to the police department. I know they're in town, but getting ahold of them... I can't lay my hands on them at this moment," the prosecutor said. "I have been obtaining girlfriends' addresses, and we're checking those addresses, but these are a bunch of kids and they are scared. But they're kids and we have professionals looking for them, so I'm confident we can get them."

Another hearing is set for Dec. 21. In the meantime, Macias will remain behind bars.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KIII. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.