Crews Respond to Fire at Northside Shopping Center
CORPUS CHRISTI (Kiii News) -
Firefighters responded to a two-alarm fire at a northside shopping center just before 3 a.m. Thursday.
The call came in from two people who were at a nearby bar and smelled smoke. Investigators said the fire started in the back of the Backroom Bar, near Leopard and Westchester. Luckily, everyone was able to get out safely.
Firefighters got the blaze under control in about 45 minutes, but they had to break into other businesses.
"We're just opening up all buildings, clearing out smoke, making sure there are no extensions to any of the other stores inside," said Battalion Chief Jim DeVisser of the Corpus Christi Fire Department. "The extent of the damage is going to be extensive inside. The sports bar has a lot of fire and smoke damage, holes and stuff like that."
When fire crews broke the window of a gun store, they discovered two guard dogs. Both dogs were rescued.
Overloaded electrical sockets is thought to be the cause of the blaze.