Three Firefighters Injured Battling House Fire on Lolita Street
CORPUS CHRISTI (Kiii News) -
Three firefighters were injured while fighting a house fire that started just after midnight on the 900 block of Lolita. 62-year old Martha Moreno has lived there since 1959.
One of the firefighters had steam burns to his hands, face and shoulders. A second firefighter was trying to remove the injured man's protective gear when he was also burned on his hands. A third firefighter realized he had burns on his ears when he returned to the station.
Moreno said that just after lighting a candle in her living room, a match fell to the floor, igniting the fire. She tried putting it out with water and a broom, but was not successful.
She was home alone at the time, and shares the house with her 59-year old sister, Bertha Moreno, who was at work when the fire started.
The estimated cost of the damage is between $20,000-$25,000. A bedroom received heavy fire damage, and the rest of the home received smoke damage.
The sisters do not have insurance, and stayed with relatives Wednesday night.
One firefighter returned to the scene on Thursday, searching for his wedding ring. He said he lost it there while outside of the home.