Firefighters Rescue Two Dogs from Manhattan Drive House Fire - KiiiTV.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

Firefighters Rescue Two Dogs from Manhattan Drive House Fire

Posted: Updated:
CORPUS CHRISTI (Kiii News) -

Corpus Christi firefighters were busy Wednesday morning responding to several fires around town.

At a fire on Manhattan Drive near Weber, fire crews not only saved the home, but they also rescued two dogs trapped inside.

When firefighters arrive at a scene like the one on Manhattan Drive, their number one priority is to make sure everyone is out of the house; and sometimes during the search, they come across some of the most helpless of victims: our pets.

Marty and Mocha were shaken up, but will be okay. The two dogs were inside the house when it caught fire. First responders ended up having to give them some oxygen so they could breath.

The fire sparked up just before noon in a back utility room before spreading to the attic. Firefighters arrived, and were able to put the flames out within 10 minutes, but as the house filled with smoke, crews also acted fast to save those two dogs trapped inside.

"One of the dogs was in a cage. The other dog took us a bit longer to find," said Battalion Chief Doug Matthijetz of the Corpus Christ Fire Department. "Second dog, had to search five to 10 minutes before we found it."

While the homeowners are out of town, the dogs' caretakers were staying at the house. They won't be able to stay there for the night, so the American Red Cross was called in to help them out.

Fire officials said the fire could have been worse because of strong winds.