Going green has really paid off for 12 local organizations. They were rewarded Thursday with some much needed funds.
The Mayor's Fitness Council handed out 12 grants as part of their Community Garden Grants Awards. The money will be used to buy tools, seeds, plants and other gardening projects.
Some students from Luther Jones Elementary were on hand to receive their grant. It will go towards building a garden on campus.
"We just want to tell kids that they can eat healthy any time of day. Maybe night," said Bethany Lopez and Ray Lune of Luther Jones Elementary. "And we just want to grow a lot of stuff in our garden to help out the community."
Each organization received $500.
The 12 grants of $500 were awarded to the following organizations, school groups, individuals or groups of individuals:
• Boys & Girls "Club Garden" (Boys & Girls Club)
• Clairelaine Gardens Community Garden (Clairelaine Gardens Residence)
• Navarro Place Community Garden (Navarro Place Residence)
• Corpus Christi Downtown Farmer's Market Educational Garden (Tom Graham Park)
• St. Peter's By the Sea Community Garden (St. Peter's Church)
• Dorothy Day Community Garden (Dorothy Day Catholic Worker House)
• Luther Jones Garden (Luther Jones Elementary)
• Meadowbrook Garden (Meadowbrook Elementary)
• Kids in the Kitchen Community Garden - Junior League of Corpus Christi (Amistad Community Health Center)
• Fit and Fun Garden (Los Encinos Elementary)
• SMArt Garden (Seashore Middle Academy)
• Bill Witt Park Community Garden (Bill Witt Park)
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 WorldNow and KIII. All Rights Reserved.