Suter Declines to Make Public Statement Regarding Hit and Run - KiiiTV.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

Pat Suter Declines to Make Public Statement Regarding Hit and Run

Posted: Updated:
CORPUS CHRISTI (Kiii News) -

Pat Suter, 87, was set to make a public statement on Friday about why she drove away from the scene of a hit and run accident involving local attorney Richard Leshin.

That statement did not happen, and neither has the personal apology Leshin wants from Suter.

Suter's attorney, Mark DiCarlo, said that he warned his client about making a public statement, but they wanted to go ahead and make one anyway. However, before they did, they checked with well-known Houston attorney Dick Deguerin, who also told them to keep quiet.

With that second opinion, they opted not to talk.

Back on March 16, Richard Leshin was riding his bike down Ocean Drive when police said that Suter veered into the bike lane and ran Leshin over. Police said she continued driving onto the Hans and Pat Suter Wildlife Refuge for a trash cleanup.

Now, Suter's attorney and her own son have said that she admits to being behind the wheel of the car that hit Leshin, but she thought it was a trash can.

Suter turned herself in to authorities earlier this week when it was discovered that there was a warrant out for her arrest. She was charged with a third-degree felony in the case, which calls for two-10 years in prison.

Leshin has said multiple times that he wants an apology from the environmental activist. That would help him decide how he wants the case against her to proceed.

"The apology has come through me, and Ms. Suter has expressed her deep sorrow for this accident, and obviously we do expect an apology to be forthcoming from Ms. Suter personally," Attorney Mark DiCarlo said.

DiCarlo also said that 95-percent of criminal cases end with a plea deal. One has not been made in this case, even though DiCarlo said he has spoken with the District Attorney's Office.

  • Padre Island National Seashore, South Beach Temporarily Closed to Vehicle Traffic

    Padre Island National Seashore, South Beach Temporarily Closed to Vehicle Traffic

    The Padre Island National Seashore will be closing off the area known as South Beach to vehicle traffic beginning at 6:00 PM Tuesday.Early Tuesday the National Weather Service issued a Coastal Flood Advisory for Nueces and Kleberg counties from 10:00 PM Tuesday until Wednesday at 12 Noon. Representatives with the Padre Island National Seashore say they are closing off South Beach to traffic during the advisory.Park officials say vehicles will be allowed back on the beach as soon as conditions...More >>
    The Padre Island National Seashore will be closing off the area known as South Beach to vehicle traffic beginning at 6:00 PM Tuesday.Early Tuesday the National Weather Service issued a Coastal Flood Advisory for Nueces and Kleberg counties from 10:00 PM Tuesday until Wednesday at 12 Noon. Representatives with the Padre Island National Seashore say they are closing off South Beach to traffic during the advisory.Park officials say vehicles will be allowed back on the beach as soon as conditions...More >>
  • Hours After Arrest Warrant Is Issued, Suspect is Caught

    Hours After Arrest Warrant Is Issued, Suspect is Caught

    Daniel Martinez, 32, has been arrested on Theft and Burglary charges on Tuesday. It was back on August 21 when Corpus Christi police raided a home along the 1700 block of Nile Dr.Early Tuesday morning, police got arrest warrants for Martinez stemming from a raid of a home along the 1700 block of Nile. Hours later, Martinez was pulled over along the 6400 block of Vincent Drive. Police officers recognized Martinez as a wanted person and arrested him. The truck he was driving was taken to the Co...More >>
    Daniel Martinez, 32, has been arrested on Theft and Burglary charges on Tuesday. It was back on August 21 when Corpus Christi police raided a home along the 1700 block of Nile Dr.Early Tuesday morning, police got arrest warrants for Martinez stemming from a raid of a home along the 1700 block of Nile. Hours later, Martinez was pulled over along the 6400 block of Vincent Drive. Police officers recognized Martinez as a wanted person and arrested him. The truck he was driving was taken to the Co...More >>
  • Terror Group Posts "A Second Message to America"

    Terror Group Posts "A Second Message to America"

    (CNN) -- The ISIS terror group has published a video titled "A second message to America," showing the beheading of American journalist Steven Sotloff.The video also threatens the life of British captive, David Haines.Sotloff speaks to the camera before he is killed, saying he is "paying the price" for U.S. intervention.The masked ISIS figure in the video speaks to U.S. President Barack Obama, telling him, "Just as your missiles continue to strike our people, our knife will continue to strike...More >>
    (CNN) -- The ISIS terror group has published a video titled "A second message to America," showing the beheading of American journalist Steven Sotloff.The video also threatens the life of British captive, David Haines.Sotloff speaks to the camera before he is killed, saying he is "paying the price" for U.S. intervention.The masked ISIS figure in the video speaks to U.S. President Barack Obama, telling him, "Just as your missiles continue to strike our people, our knife will continue to strike...More >>