Much of the evidence the government will use against the accused Fort Hood shooter came out in court during a pre-trial hearing on post Friday.
It includes Internet searches for "jihad Muslims" and "Taliban" during the hours leading up to the November 5, 2009 shootings, links to articles on jihad in Nidal Hasan's favorite's menu, and a seemingly threatening request to avoid deployment.
These are a few of many things the government will use to try to prove motive and radicalization.
A statement Hasan made to a doctor when filing for conscientious objector status was recited in court Friday saying, "They've got another thing coming if they think they're going to deploy me."
The prosecution also wants to use research papers Hasan wrote while at Walter Reed from 2007 to 2008, including one on the ethics of suicide bombings in which they say he seems sympathetic to such attacks.
It's to show what they call a gradual religious radicalizing.
Colonel Steve Henricks told the judge the papers would show, "[Hasan] came to believe that he shouldn't have to deploy, and if he is deployed, he may commit [what Hasan called in the paper] adverse events."
Colonel Henricks also said, "We believe Major Hasan modeled his crimes off Hasan Akbar."
In his papers Hasan wrote about Akbar, a Muslim soldier who attacked his own unit while on deployment to Iraq.
For now, Judge Osborn says she won't allow that evidence on the grounds "it's guilt by association," just like emails between Hasan and Al Qaeda member Anwar al-Awlaki.
But just like the emails, she said she'd reconsider them as evidence later on.
Hasan didn't object to any of the evidence discussed Friday.
In a zero hour motion, Hasan asked the judge to order the government to allow him to do a television news interview.
He told her, "I'm not being permitted to have an on-camera interview by a news organization by the government... ...I'm asking the court to compel the government to allow me to interview on camera."
Judge Osborn has previously denied the prosecution's request for a gag order and told Hasan this new issue is out of her hands.
She said, "That's an issue between the news organization and the Department of the Army."
Then Hasan said his first amendment rights are being violated and handed Osborn a motion written by attorneys for Fox News, requesting her to order the government to let Hasan go on camera.
This past week in an apparent attempt to get some messages across, Hasan released documents to national and local media, apologizing to jihadists for being a U.S. soldier and also renouncing his U.S. citizenship.
Colonel Osborn read the motion and said, "I don't believe this court has jurisdiction to address this issue. This is a civil matter."
Then it was back to business regarding next week's trial.
On Monday the court will re-evaluate the military jury to make sure they're still fit to hear the case.
The long awaited trial finally begins Tuesday.
Reporter: Sophia Stamas firstname.lastname@example.org
Photographer: Chris Buford email@example.com
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 WorldNow and KIII. All Rights Reserved.