Justice Department won't probe death of Georgia teen found in gy - KiiiTV.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

Justice Department won't probe death of Georgia teen found in gym mat

Posted:
Highlights
  • Kendrick Johnson, 17, was found dead in a rolled-up gym mat at his Georgia high school
  • Authorities ruled his death accidental, said he didn't have "significant injuries" before dying
  • The family questioned the ruling, ordering an autopsy that found "non-accidental ... trauma"
  • U.S. Justice Department doesn't find "sufficient indication of a civil rights violation"

By Carol Cratty. Victor Blackwell and Greg Botelho

The U.S. Justice Department will not conduct a civil rights investigation in the case of a teenager found dead in a rolled-up mat at his southern Georgia high school, a spokesperson for that agency said Wednesday.

Kendrick Johnson, 17, was discovered dead last January 11 headfirst in a rolled wrestling mat in the Lowndes County High School gymnasium in Valdosta, Georgia.

The Justice Department's criminal division is aware of concerns about Kendrick's death, but after reviewing the investigative file, it determined there is not "sufficient indication of a civil rights violation to authorize a civil rights investigation," according to the agency's spokesperson.

"We have discussed this matter with U.S. Attorney Moore, and his office is continuing to monitor and evaluate this matter, including the second autopsy report," the spokesperson added, referring to U.S. Attorney Michael Moore whose jurisdiction includes Valdosta.

That second autopsy report, which was obtained by CNN on Tuesday, found that Kendrick died as the result of "unexplained, apparent non-accidental, blunt force trauma."

This report directly contradicts an autopsy conducted by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation that determined that Johnson's death was the result of positional asphyxia. The Lowndes County Sheriff's Office ruled that his death was accidental.

Questioning that cause of death, Kendrick's family sent copies of the second autopsy report to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, the U.S . Attorney for Georgia's Middle District and Lowndes County Coroner -- as well as the U.S. Justice Department's criminal division -- for review.

"I want to do the right thing by the people and the county and all concerned; I'm just not sure we have enough information," Lowndes County Coroner Bill Watson said earlier this week. "I'm not about to refute anybody's findings because I'm not a doctor."

On May 1, a judge granted the Johnsons' request to exhume their son's body in order to conduct -- at their expense -- the independent autopsy.

That autopsy, done on June 15, found Kendrick had suffered blunt force trauma to the right neck and soft tissues "consistent with inflicted injury."

"This is unexplained -- most very, very likely inflicted, as opposed to something he caused himself, inflicted by another -- and therefore needs to be investigated as an open homicide investigation," said Dr. William R. Anderson with Forensic Dimensions in Heathrow, Florida, who conducted the autopsy. He characterized authorities failure to pursue the case as "mystifying."

The initial patient care report, written by EMTs with he South Georgia Medical Center Mobile Healthcare Service on the day Kendrick was found, pointed to "bruising (on) the right side jaw."

Yet a January 25 report from the Valdosta-Lowndes County Regional Crime Laboratory cited "no signs of blunt force trauma on Johnson's face or body." The autopsy results released May 2 by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation identified "no significant injuries."

Speaking earlier this week, Moore said his office has been working on Kendrick's case "for some time," though it had not launched a formal investigation.

"There are some members of the community that question the result," Moore said. "I want to make sure members of the community and the family and everyone involved has confidence in my work and my decision."

The-CNN-Wire
™ & © 2013 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

  • Gunman Opens Fire Killing 3 people and Wounding a Child at Local RV Park

    Gunman Opens Fire Killing 3 people and Wounding a Child at Local RV Park

    A horrific scene out in Flour Bluff Sunday evening after a man went on a shooting rampage killing three people and wounding a child. It happened just before seven Sunday evening inside the Marina Village RV Park on Sailfish Court and Albacore which is located near NAS Corpus Christi. Police arrested the lone gunman, a 63 year old man. Police have not released his name at this time. He has been taken into custody for Capital Murder. Witnesses identified the shooter to police. The child who wa...More >>
    A horrific scene out in Flour Bluff Sunday evening after a man went on a shooting rampage killing three people and wounding a child. It happened just before seven Sunday evening inside the Marina Village RV Park on Sailfish Court and Albacore which is located near NAS Corpus Christi. Police arrested the lone gunman, a 63 year old man. Police have not released his name at this time. He has been taken into custody for Capital Murder. Witnesses identified the shooter to police. The child who wa...More >>
  • Four Injured In Bee Attack

    Four Injured In Bee Attack

    Sunday, September 14 2014 11:54 PM EDT2014-09-15 03:54:41 GMT
    Four people suffered minor injuries after they were attack by bees. It happened around four Sunday afternoon in the 4600 Block of Barrera, that's near Greenwood and Horne. None of the injuries are believed to be serious.More >>
    Four people suffered minor injuries after they were attack by bees. It happened around four Sunday afternoon in the 4600 Block of Barrera, that's near Greenwood and Horne. None of the injuries are believed to be serious.More >>
  • Coast Guard Searching for Man off San Jose Island

    Coast Guard Searching for Man off San Jose Island

    The Coast Guard is searching for a 37-year-old San Antonio man missing from a boat that sank Sunday off of Port Aransas. At approximately 1 p.m., the crew of the Go America, an oil rig supply vessel, notified Sector Corpus Christi Command Center watchstanders that they picked three people up out of the water offshore of San Jose Island and that there was another man missing. It was reported that four San Antonio men were fishing near oil rigs east of Port O'Connor. Their 25-foot center conso...More >>
    The Coast Guard is searching for a 37-year-old San Antonio man missing from a boat that sank Sunday off of Port Aransas. At approximately 1 p.m., the crew of the Go America, an oil rig supply vessel, notified Sector Corpus Christi Command Center watchstanders that they picked three people up out of the water offshore of San Jose Island and that there was another man missing. It was reported that four San Antonio men were fishing near oil rigs east of Port O'Connor. Their 25-foot center conso...More >>