24-Inch Natural Gas Pipe Ruptures In Calallen Neighborhood
CALALLEN (Kiii News) -
Some tense moments for residents in the Calallen area who found their neighborhood surrounded by emergency crews hearing the sound of gas hissing in the distance.
3 News crew was standing several hundred feet away and the sound still echoed. The sound was coming from a 24-inch natural gas pipe in the ground near County Road 73A and Wade Street.
Officials say the rupture was caused by a crew excavating the site. Authorities blocked the street and kept residents from getting too close.
Bill Baugh, Boardwalk Field Services, says,"In fact the person who sheltered in place was asking why he didn't smell any gas. Gas is odorless and colorless, it was blowing away from him completely safe."
After about two hours, crews were able to contain the gas leak.