Convention and Visitors Bureau CEO Officially Resigns - KiiiTV.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

Convention and Visitors Bureau CEO Officially Resigns

Posted: Updated:
CORPUS CHRISTI (Kiii News) -

He's been at the helm of the Corpus Christi Convention and Visitors Bureau for more than seven years, and on Thursday, CEO Keith Arnold announced his resignation.

His announcement came during a scheduled CVB board meeting. Arnold said his resignation, effective Nov. 1, has nothing to do with a recently completed audit of the Bureau.

Arnold's resignation brings to an end the longest tenure for a professional in that position at the CVB. Along with his announcement, part of the board meeting agenda included a review of a recent audit.

That audit showed that, while Arnold is leaving the CVB in excellent shape, it can always use some improvement.

"Sometimes it's really, really good to go out at the top," Arnold said.

Arnold said that, amid record numbers of visitors coming to Corpus Christi, it's a good time to bow out. Board Chairman Michael Womack had nothing but praise for his outgoing CEO, adding that the recent audit, which looked into the CVB's methods for forecasting hotel reservations, had nothing to do with Arnold's resignation.

Womack said that under Arnold's leadership, the City saw an increase in visitors of more than 7 million in 2012, bringing in record-breaking hotel occupancy tax collections. That helped move Corpus Christi up from sixth to fifth as leading visitor destinations in the state.

For Arnold, the decision to leave was a positive one -- leaving his position while at the top of his game.

"I would like to try something else while I'm young enough, relatively speaking, and have the energy to go out and do what I do naturally and best," Arnold said. "And hopefully in this community."

"We weren't expecting his resignation. This is a hard job. There's a lot of time that goes into it. There's a lot of energy, and Keith has put his all into these seven years," Womack said. "We're so proud of the work that he's done, and his leadership. We are definitely going to miss him."

As far as what Arnold wants to do next, he said he will be looking into sales, marketing and public relations, hopefully related to the tourism industry.

  • Benefit Held for 6 Year old Boy who was Allegedly Killed by Mother's Boyfriend

    Benefit Held for 6 Year old Boy who was Allegedly Killed by Mother's Boyfriend

    There was an overwhelming show of support for the family of 6 year old Xadrian Martinez on Saturday. Just days after Xadrian tragically died, his family, friends and even complete strangers have come together to help raise money for funeral costs. Suzie Anguiano who stopped by to buy a barbeque plate said, "it's unfair that it happened to him. We want to help and support in any way that we can because we have kids of our own and if it was our kids we want the same turn out." A BBQ benefit w...More >>
    There was an overwhelming show of support for the family of 6 year old Xadrian Martinez on Saturday. Just days after Xadrian tragically died, his family, friends and even complete strangers have come together to help raise money for funeral costs. Suzie Anguiano who stopped by to buy a barbeque plate said, "it's unfair that it happened to him. We want to help and support in any way that we can because we have kids of our own and if it was our kids we want the same turn out." A BBQ benefit w...More >>
  • BBQ Benefit for 6-Year-Old Boy Killed

    BBQ Benefit for 6-Year-Old Boy Killed

    Saturday, August 30 2014 6:00 PM EDT2014-08-30 22:00:16 GMT
    A local car club called 361 along with friends and family are holding a benefit for the 6-year-old boy that was killed earlier this week.According to police the boy's stepfather 27-year-old Albert Villarreal struck young Xadrian Martinez after he soiled his clothing reportedly, Villarreal then grabbed the boy by the neck until he was unconscious and then slammed him into a refrigerator to try to revive him. EMS crews had been called out after the boy reportedly began having seizures. They rus...More >>
    A local car club called 361 along with friends and family are holding a benefit for the 6-year-old boy that was killed earlier this week.According to police the boy's stepfather 27-year-old Albert Villarreal struck young Xadrian Martinez after he soiled his clothing reportedly, Villarreal then grabbed the boy by the neck until he was unconscious and then slammed him into a refrigerator to try to revive him. EMS crews had been called out after the boy reportedly began having seizures. They rus...More >>
  • Former Presidents Clinton and Bush to launch new initiative

    Former Presidents Clinton and Bush to launch new initiative

    Saturday, August 30 2014 5:00 PM EDT2014-08-30 21:00:09 GMT
    (CNN) -- Former Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush are going to join forces for a new initiative aimed at helping to give leaders better skills to solve problems.The presidents will appear together at an event in Washington on Sept. 8th to launch the Presidential Scholars Program.Organizers are billing this as a first of its kind partnership because not only will this involve the foundations run by Clinton and Bush but also will include the George Herbert Walker Bush and Lyndon Baines...More >>
    (CNN) -- Former Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush are going to join forces for a new initiative aimed at helping to give leaders better skills to solve problems.The presidents will appear together at an event in Washington on Sept. 8th to launch the Presidential Scholars Program.Organizers are billing this as a first of its kind partnership because not only will this involve the foundations run by Clinton and Bush but also will include the George Herbert Walker Bush and Lyndon Baines...More >>