CBS' Lara Logan, producer on leave after discredited Benghazi re - KiiiTV.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

CBS' Lara Logan, producer on leave after discredited Benghazi report

Posted:
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Lara Logan and producer Max McClellan agree to leave suggested by CBS
  • Leaves of absence come at the end of an internal review of their Benghazi report
  • The "60 Minutes" report centered on a source who gave contradictory accounts
  • Logan apologized for the October report earlier this month

By Brian Stelter

Lara Logan, the CBS correspondent at the center of a discredited October 27 report about the attack on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, is taking a leave of absence from work, the network said Tuesday.

Logan's longtime producer, Max McClellan, is also taking time off. CBS suggested that the leaves of absence were punitive measures for the shortcomings in the Benghazi report, which has stung the reputations of both Logan and the program that televised her report, "60 Minutes."

With the staff announcements on Tuesday and the release of an internal review, CBS tried to demonstrate that it has figured out what went wrong with its Benghazi report and taken steps to stop similar mistakes in the future. "The '60 Minutes' journalistic review is concluded, and we are implementing ongoing changes based on its results," a CBS News spokeswoman said Tuesday.

But the network declined to comment further on what changes were being implemented or on when Logan might return to work. Logan has not talked publicly about the Benghazi report since she apologized for it on November 10, and it looks unlikely that she will talk anytime soon; although she had been scheduled to host a high-profile fund-raising dinner for the Committee to Protect Journalists on Tuesday night, the committee says her colleague Scott Pelley, the anchor of the "CBS Evening News," is going to fill in for her.

Jeff Fager, the chairman of CBS News and the executive producer of "60 Minutes," said in an internal memorandum that he asked Logan and McClellan to take leaves of absence.

Fager said he, not Logan, was ultimately responsible for the mistakes associated with the October 27 report. "I pride myself in catching almost everything, but this deception got through and it shouldn't have," he said.

The exceptionally rare steps by CBS were applauded by Media Matters, the liberal media monitoring group that was among the first to criticize Logan's conclusions about Benghazi.

"From the start of this controversy, Media Matters has demanded that CBS review the flawed '60 Minutes' report and take appropriate action. Today, the network has done that," the group's chairman, David Brock, said in a statement. "We hope this serves as a lesson learned to CBS about the danger of misinformation."

The missteps in the report stemmed from an interview with Dylan Davies, a security contractor who was in Benghazi on the night of the assault, which left four Americans dead, including Ambassador Christopher Stevens. Davies claimed in the interview that he was present at the compound, but that account contradicted what he had previously told the FBI, the State Department and his own employer.

CBS executives have said that they didn't know the details of the government interviews of Davies but did know that he'd told his employer a different story.

"This crucial point -- his admission that he had not told his employer the truth about his own actions -- should have been a red flag in the editorial vetting process," said Al Ortiz, the head of standards and practices for CBS, in the network's internal review, which was shared with employees on Tuesday.

Ortiz also faulted the "60 Minutes" staff with keeping its interview to itself --- something that outside critics said weeks ago when questions about the report were first raised.

"The fact that the FBI and the State Department had information that differed from the account Davies gave to '60 Minutes' was knowable before the piece aired," Ortiz wrote. "But the wider reporting resources of CBS News were not employed in an effort to confirm his account. It's possible that reporters and producers with better access to inside FBI sources could have found out that Davies had given varying and conflicting accounts of his story."

The-CNN-Wire
™ & © 2013 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

  • Update: 5 Workers Arrested During Banquete Game Room Bust

    Update: 5 Workers Arrested During Banquete Game Room Bust

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:00 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:00:15 GMT
    Another game room bust, this one happening in Banquete late Friday night. The Nueces County Sheriff's Office raided two game rooms and both of them were packed with players. The sheriff's office had under cover officers look into two game rooms, one in Banquete and the other just south of Robstown. Not only is it alleged that the game room paying out money, but the game room in Banquete was also a fire trap since there was only one way in and one way out. The Banquete game room had been ...More >>
    Another game room bust, this one happening in Banquete late Friday night. The Nueces County Sheriff's Office raided two game rooms and both of them were packed with players. The sheriff's office had under cover officers look into two game rooms, one in Banquete and the other just south of Robstown. Not only is it alleged that the game room paying out money, but the game room in Banquete was also a fire trap since there was only one way in and one way out. The Banquete game room had been ...More >>
  • Residents Startled by Gun Fire

    Residents Startled by Gun Fire

    Saturday, April 19 2014 10:45 PM EDT2014-04-20 02:45:09 GMT
    Residents woke up to the sound of gun shots in one westside neighborhood Saturday morning. The incident happened just before 2:30 Saturday morning at a home near the intersection of Cortez and Baldwin Boulevard. Police later told 3 News that one man was arrested, but only for public intoxication. Police say the man put up a struggle with officers.More >>
    Residents woke up to the sound of gun shots in one westside neighborhood Saturday morning. The incident happened just before 2:30 Saturday morning at a home near the intersection of Cortez and Baldwin Boulevard. Police later told 3 News that one man was arrested, but only for public intoxication. Police say the man put up a struggle with officers.More >>
  • Car Crashes and Catches Fire

    Car Crashes and Catches Fire

    Saturday, April 19 2014 10:30 PM EDT2014-04-20 02:30:09 GMT
    A driver loses control and crashes in between two barriers under the freeway. It happened at the Greenwood turn around and SPID earlier Saturday afternoon. CCPD says that the driver was speeding when he made the turn and lost control, getting stuck between the two barriers. Police say the impact caused the car to catch fire. The driver was not injured. He was given a ticket and the car will be impounded, that's because the driver did not have insurance.More >>
    A driver loses control and crashes in between two barriers under the freeway. It happened at the Greenwood turn around and SPID earlier Saturday afternoon. CCPD says that the driver was speeding when he made the turn and lost control, getting stuck between the two barriers. Police say the impact caused the car to catch fire. The driver was not injured. He was given a ticket and the car will be impounded, that's because the driver did not have insurance.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KIII. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.