ATLANTA (CNN) -- The parents of Kendrick Johnson, whose death this year created a mystery that has gripped a South Georgia town, held a rally at the state Capitol on Wednesday, a day after filing a complaint with the state about the handling of their son's body.
The "Who Killed K.J." rally, which began at 11 a.m. and is scheduled to run until 2 p.m. ET, has several scheduled speakers, including the Rev. Al Sharpton, the Rev. Joseph Lowery, Martin Luther King III and radio personality Rickey Smiley. Before noon, more than 100 protesters had assembled.
Johnson was found dead in a rolled-up gym mat at his high school in Valdosta, Georgia, on January 11. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation conducted an autopsy and ruled the death accidental, but his family questioned the ruling and had his body exhumed for a second autopsy.
At the second autopsy, it was discovered his organs were missing and his body cavity was filled with newspapers, contrary to industry practice.
Gov. Nathan Deal's office did not respond to questions about whether Deal had faith in the local investigation into Johnson's death or the subsequent GBI autopsy. Asked whether Deal would call for a special investigation, spokeswoman Sasha Dlugolenski said, "We have been told that the U.S. Attorney's Office is looking into the case.
"This is such a tragedy, and we extend our deepest sympathy to this young man's family and friends. It is our hope that the U.S. Attorney's Office will be able to shed some light on the situation."
Michael Moore, the U.S. attorney for the Middle District of Georgia, said in October that federal authorities would investigate the circumstances behind Kendrick Johnson's death.
The family's complaint, filed Tuesday with the Georgia Board of Funeral Service, a division of the secretary of state's office, alleges that when Johnson's body was exhumed for a second autopsy, "all of our son's inner organs, including his brain, were missing." CNN was the first to report the development in October.
William Anderson, a pathologist hired by the Johnson family's attorney, further told the family "that our son was stuffed with newspaper. At no time did we ever authorize the removal of our son's inner organs for any purpose whatsoever," the complaint says.
Harrington Funeral Home, which embalmed Kendrick Johnson and handled the funeral arrangements and burial, never informed the family the organs were missing, and the GBI said it replaced all of the organs after the autopsy, the complaint alleges.
Funeral home director Antonio Harrington initially said "one or two organs might be missing," according to the complaint, but in an October 4 letter to the family's attorney, C.B. King Jr., Harrington said the organs had been "destroyed" and "discarded ... before the body was sent back to Valdosta," where the funeral home took custody of the body.
"It is our belief that Mr. Harrington, at best, misled us as to the condition of our son's body, and at worse, is responsible for the removal and destruction of his organs, and, thus, desecration of our son's body," the complaint says.
The family concludes by requesting an investigation and alleging that Harrington engaged in fraud by misleading the family into believing Kendrick Johnson's remains were intact and "facilitated a cover-up" that deprived pathologists of "the means by which to determine how he may have died," the complaint says.
The funeral home has not commented to CNN in the past, but Harrington said in the October letter to the Johnsons' attorney that the prosector, who prepares bodies for pathological examination, discarded the organs. Harrington never received them, he wrote.
The secretary of state's office confirmed receiving the Johnsons' complaint Tuesday but would not comment.
The Georgia Board of Funeral Service says all investigations are confidential, but after a formal hearing, several resolutions are possible: It can close the probe and take no action; it can issue a "letter of concern," which won't be made public; it can issue a public inspection report; or it can publicly or privately handle any violation with the funeral home.
Brig. Gen. Jeffrey Sinclair pleaded guilty Thursday to several charges related to sexual relationships with female troops, but not the most serious one against him.More >>
Brig. Gen. Jeffrey Sinclair -- once one of the U.S. Army's top commanders in Afghanistan -- pleaded guilty Thursday to several charges related to sexual relationships with female troops, but not the most serious one against him.More >>
A family accused of using their minivan to drive across country and steal American Girl Dolls and Furbys from dozens of Toys-R-Us stores has been arrested More >>
A family accused of using their minivan to drive across country and steal American Girl Dolls and Furbys from dozens of Toys-R-Us stores has been arrested and charged with stealing more than $7 million worth of goods, authorities said.More >>
Normally, if you lose big in Las Vegas, you're expected to settle your debt and move on.More >>
Normally, if you lose big in Las Vegas, you're expected to settle your debt and move on. However, a California businessman claims he never should have been allowed to go $500,000 into debt at the Downtown Grand Las Vegas, and he's filed suit.More >>
Michael Robertson was arrested in 2010 and charged with attempting to secretly photograph a person in a state of partial nudity. The SJC reversed a lower court's order denying his motion to dismiss that case.
Massachusetts' high court says "upskirting" photos are legalMore >>
Massachusetts' highest court ruled Wednesday that it is not illegal to secretly photograph underneath a person's clothing -- a practice known as "upskirting" -- prompting one prosecutor to call for a revision of state law.More >>
Man and wife arrested after strange behavior at retirement communityMore >>
The parents of three children are in a Florida jail after leaving the kids to wander the woods while the parents may have been high, possibly on methamphetamine, according to police and CNN affiliates.More >>
Sulaiman Abu Ghaith is accused of conspiracy to kill U.S. nationalsMore >>
Osama bin Laden ordered his son-in-law to "deliver al Qaeda's murderous decree to the entire world" in the hours after the September 11, 2001, attacks, a federal prosecutor told jurors Wednesday during the opening of a Manhattan terror trial blocks from the site of the former World Trade Center.More >>