2013 record breaking year at the box office - KiiiTV.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

2013 record breaking year at the box office

Posted:
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • 2013 broke a record at the box office
  • "Iron Man 3" was the biggest movie of the year
  • Things started off slow, but finished strong in the year

By Lisa Respers France

Hollywood is about to fade to black on a year full of green.

According to the Los Angeles Times, 2013 is proving to be a lucrative year at the box office. Ticket sales reportedly are projected to reach $10.9 billion, which will just barely squeak by the 2012 record of $10.8 billion.

But a record is a record and despite some high-profile flops like "The Lone Ranger" starring Johnny Depp, Oscar contenders such "12 Years a Slave" and "Gravity" also proved to be popular with audiences, and they helped to pull receipts over last year's record-breaking amount.

Patrick Corcoran, a spokesman for the National Association of Theatre Owners, lauded the news.

"We rise and fall based on the strength of the movies in the marketplace," Corcoran said. "After setting a record, it's nice to be able to set another one, even by a little bit."

Data from Box Office Mojo.com shows that sequels and blockbusters proved to be the biggest draw. The top grossing movie, "Iron Man 3," pulled in just over $409 million, while "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" has earned $391 million so far. Rounding out the top 10 were "Despicable Me 2," "Man of Steel," "Monsters University," "Gravity," "Frozen," "Fast & Furious 6," "Oz The Great and Powerful," and "Star Trek Into Darkness."

Analysts say that while the financial picture was looking less than rosy earlier in the year, the pace picked up. During the Christmas period, eagerly awaited films like "The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug" and "Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues" helped Hollywood finish off strong.

"Just having lots of movies to choose from helped drive success for our industry," said Ken Thewes, chief marketing officer and senior vice president at Regal Entertainment Group, told the Times.

The-CNN-Wire
™ & © 2013 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

  • Benefit Held for 6 Year old Boy who was Allegedly Killed by Mother's Boyfriend

    Benefit Held for 6 Year old Boy who was Allegedly Killed by Mother's Boyfriend

    There was an overwhelming show of support for the family of 6 year old Xadrian Martinez on Saturday. Just days after Xadrian tragically died, his family, friends and even complete strangers have come together to help raise money for funeral costs. Suzie Anguiano who stopped by to buy a barbeque plate said, "it's unfair that it happened to him. We want to help and support in any way that we can because we have kids of our own and if it was our kids we want the same turn out." A BBQ benefit w...More >>
    There was an overwhelming show of support for the family of 6 year old Xadrian Martinez on Saturday. Just days after Xadrian tragically died, his family, friends and even complete strangers have come together to help raise money for funeral costs. Suzie Anguiano who stopped by to buy a barbeque plate said, "it's unfair that it happened to him. We want to help and support in any way that we can because we have kids of our own and if it was our kids we want the same turn out." A BBQ benefit w...More >>
  • BBQ Benefit for 6-Year-Old Boy Killed

    BBQ Benefit for 6-Year-Old Boy Killed

    Saturday, August 30 2014 6:00 PM EDT2014-08-30 22:00:16 GMT
    A local car club called 361 along with friends and family are holding a benefit for the 6-year-old boy that was killed earlier this week.According to police the boy's stepfather 27-year-old Albert Villarreal struck young Xadrian Martinez after he soiled his clothing reportedly, Villarreal then grabbed the boy by the neck until he was unconscious and then slammed him into a refrigerator to try to revive him. EMS crews had been called out after the boy reportedly began having seizures. They rus...More >>
    A local car club called 361 along with friends and family are holding a benefit for the 6-year-old boy that was killed earlier this week.According to police the boy's stepfather 27-year-old Albert Villarreal struck young Xadrian Martinez after he soiled his clothing reportedly, Villarreal then grabbed the boy by the neck until he was unconscious and then slammed him into a refrigerator to try to revive him. EMS crews had been called out after the boy reportedly began having seizures. They rus...More >>
  • Former Presidents Clinton and Bush to launch new initiative

    Former Presidents Clinton and Bush to launch new initiative

    Saturday, August 30 2014 5:00 PM EDT2014-08-30 21:00:09 GMT
    (CNN) -- Former Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush are going to join forces for a new initiative aimed at helping to give leaders better skills to solve problems.The presidents will appear together at an event in Washington on Sept. 8th to launch the Presidential Scholars Program.Organizers are billing this as a first of its kind partnership because not only will this involve the foundations run by Clinton and Bush but also will include the George Herbert Walker Bush and Lyndon Baines...More >>
    (CNN) -- Former Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush are going to join forces for a new initiative aimed at helping to give leaders better skills to solve problems.The presidents will appear together at an event in Washington on Sept. 8th to launch the Presidential Scholars Program.Organizers are billing this as a first of its kind partnership because not only will this involve the foundations run by Clinton and Bush but also will include the George Herbert Walker Bush and Lyndon Baines...More >>