More West Virginians told that tap water is safe to use - KiiiTV.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

More West Virginians told that tap water is safe to use

Posted:
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • "Do not use" order lifted for 2,580 more West Virginia homes and businesses
  • More than 220,000 West Virginians affected by the spill are now cleared to use water
  • It's been eight days since a chemical spill contaminated water supplies
  • Some say they will still not drink the water

By CNN Staff

West Virginia authorities announced Friday that 2,580 more water customers have been given the green light to resume using tap water after a spill that contaminated supplies and put water safety in the national spotlight.

The end of the "do not use" order for residents in the West Virginia communities of Eskdale, Leewood, Ohley and Elkview means more than 220,000 of the approximately 300,000 people originally affected by the incident have been cleared to resume using tap water.

That's up from about 213,000 on Thursday.

The chemical, 4-methylcyclohexane methanol, got into water supplies after it leaked out of a storage tank and poured into the Elk River near an intake for a West Virginia American Water Co. treatment plant.

Officials detected the 7,000-gallon leak eight days ago, on January 9. More than 7,000 gallons of the chemical, which is used to clean coal, leaked into the river, according to officials.

Water officials say the amount of the chemical in the water has fallen to well under 1 part per million, the level deemed safe for consumption by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. A later advisory suggested that pregnant women should continue to avoid drinking the water.

But concern lingers among many affected by the spill, some of whom say they will not drink the water out of fear that scientists know too little about the long-term effects of the chemical, which is not routinely tested for in water supplies.

"If a pregnant woman can't drink this ... no, we're not feeling safe here in West Virginia," Charleston resident Jacqueline Bevan said Thursday.

 

CNN's Miriam Falco, Dana Garrett, Catherine E. Shoichet, Jean Casarez and Ashley Fantz contributed to this report.

 

The-CNN-Wire

™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

 

  • Benefit Held for 6 Year old Boy who was Allegedly Killed by Mother's Boyfriend

    Benefit Held for 6 Year old Boy who was Allegedly Killed by Mother's Boyfriend

    There was an overwhelming show of support for the family of 6 year old Xadrian Martinez on Saturday. Just days after Xadrian tragically died, his family, friends and even complete strangers have come together to help raise money for funeral costs. Suzie Anguiano who stopped by to buy a barbeque plate said, "it's unfair that it happened to him. We want to help and support in any way that we can because we have kids of our own and if it was our kids we want the same turn out." A BBQ benefit w...More >>
    There was an overwhelming show of support for the family of 6 year old Xadrian Martinez on Saturday. Just days after Xadrian tragically died, his family, friends and even complete strangers have come together to help raise money for funeral costs. Suzie Anguiano who stopped by to buy a barbeque plate said, "it's unfair that it happened to him. We want to help and support in any way that we can because we have kids of our own and if it was our kids we want the same turn out." A BBQ benefit w...More >>
  • BBQ Benefit for 6-Year-Old Boy Killed

    BBQ Benefit for 6-Year-Old Boy Killed

    Saturday, August 30 2014 6:00 PM EDT2014-08-30 22:00:16 GMT
    A local car club called 361 along with friends and family are holding a benefit for the 6-year-old boy that was killed earlier this week.According to police the boy's stepfather 27-year-old Albert Villarreal struck young Xadrian Martinez after he soiled his clothing reportedly, Villarreal then grabbed the boy by the neck until he was unconscious and then slammed him into a refrigerator to try to revive him. EMS crews had been called out after the boy reportedly began having seizures. They rus...More >>
    A local car club called 361 along with friends and family are holding a benefit for the 6-year-old boy that was killed earlier this week.According to police the boy's stepfather 27-year-old Albert Villarreal struck young Xadrian Martinez after he soiled his clothing reportedly, Villarreal then grabbed the boy by the neck until he was unconscious and then slammed him into a refrigerator to try to revive him. EMS crews had been called out after the boy reportedly began having seizures. They rus...More >>
  • Former Presidents Clinton and Bush to launch new initiative

    Former Presidents Clinton and Bush to launch new initiative

    Saturday, August 30 2014 5:00 PM EDT2014-08-30 21:00:09 GMT
    (CNN) -- Former Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush are going to join forces for a new initiative aimed at helping to give leaders better skills to solve problems.The presidents will appear together at an event in Washington on Sept. 8th to launch the Presidential Scholars Program.Organizers are billing this as a first of its kind partnership because not only will this involve the foundations run by Clinton and Bush but also will include the George Herbert Walker Bush and Lyndon Baines...More >>
    (CNN) -- Former Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush are going to join forces for a new initiative aimed at helping to give leaders better skills to solve problems.The presidents will appear together at an event in Washington on Sept. 8th to launch the Presidential Scholars Program.Organizers are billing this as a first of its kind partnership because not only will this involve the foundations run by Clinton and Bush but also will include the George Herbert Walker Bush and Lyndon Baines...More >>