Family Left Homeless After Early Morning House Fire on Hiawatha - KiiiTV.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

Family Left Homeless After Early Morning House Fire on Hiawatha

Posted: Updated:
CORPUS CHRISTI (Kiii News) -

A Corpus Christi couple and their puppy are without a home after a fire broke out at their residence around 10:30 a.m. Friday in the 400 block of Hiawatha.

Investigators said it was a case of curtains being too close to a space heater, but thanks to some quick thinking neighbors, the fire was not given the chance to spread to other homes.

Homes in that neighborhood are close together, prompting concern among the neighbors that the fire could have spread.

"Actually, I was inside my grandmother's kitchen reading the Bible and their house just caught on fire," neighbor Crystal Flores said. "I just heard my cousin yelling that my neighbors house was on fire."

Flores said she couldn't believe the amount of smoke coming from the home. Fire crews were called out to the scene soon after.

"I spotted the fire out of my kitchen window there and I saw flames coming from one of the windows toward the back of the house," neighbor Homer Stakes said.

The people who live on either side of the burning house feared the worst.

"I was concerned it was going to catch our house on fire," Stakes said.

Stakes' daughter Sara did what she could to help.

"So I ran out here barefoot, grabbed a hose in the back and started spraying what I could on the base of the fire to try and keep it from spreading," Sara said. "The AC caught on fire. I put that out. There was electrical wiring on fire. I put that out before the firefighters showed up."

The owners escaped without injury, but the damage inside their home was extensive. Sadly, the couple had just been renovating and making improvements to the house.

Investigators said the fire seemed to have started when curtains too close to a space heater in the home caught fire. Fire crews quickly got the blaze under control while neighbors did what they could for the couple.

"The Luna's didn't even have barely any clothes on, so I gave Mr. Luna my jacket. She gave Mrs. Luna her shoes. So I'm glad they got their dog out. I'm glad they were okay," Sara said. "People always wonder what you do in that fight or flight situation. I guess now I know."

The family did have insurance and they are getting temporary shelter from family members. Also, the American Red Cross will be helping the couple with disaster assistance, including food and clothing.

If you would like to help the family out, give the Red Cross a call at 361-887-9991.