San Diego Family Loses Everything in Afternoon House Fire - KiiiTV.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

San Diego Family Loses Everything in Afternoon House Fire

Posted: Updated:
SAN DIEGO (Kiii News) -

A San Diego family had to escape through the windows of their burning home on Thursday and are lucky to be alive. Unfortunately, however, they lost everything in the fire.

The fire broke out around 1:30 p.m. in the 100 block of East Shaeffer. Three people were in the home at the time -- 25-year old Gabriela Trevino, her four-year old daughter, and 76-year old Polo Canales.

After the blaze broke out, Canales had to push a window air conditioning unit through it's frame so he could escape through the window. Trevino and her daughter managed to get out through another window in the wood-framed house.

That house, along with a nearby vacant trailer and their vehicle, were completely destroyed in the fire. The family had lived in the house for more than 10 years, and they only escaped with the clothes on their backs.

Also a major loss for the family was a breathing device belonging to the grandmother, who was at a doctor's appointment when the blaze broke out. She needs that device for her sleep apnea. Trevino said she talked to their insurance provider, and they are able to replace any prescriptions that were lost, but they can't replace the medical device.

The American Red Cross showed up soon after the fire, but the family is still in great need of help. If you would like to help, call Gabriela Trevino at 361-207-8099.