Firefighters Respond to Spreading Grease Fire in Southside Home - KiiiTV.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

Firefighters Respond to Spreading Grease Fire in Southside Home

Posted: Updated:
CORPUS CHRISTI (Kiii News) - Firefighters were dispatched to a house fire in the 7000 block of Clubgate shortly after 10 p.m. Monday, where a grease fire had spread throughout the kitchen.

According to firefighters, the blaze caused damage in the kitchen and smoke damage throughout the rest of the home. One woman, along with her seven cats and four dogs, were inside at the time of the blaze, but luckily they all made it out safely.

Firefighters say cooking fires are the number one cause of residential fires. Remember that, if you do find yourself in a grease fire situation, never pour water on the flames. Instead, you want to place a lid over the fire, and if you don't have a lid, remove the pan from the heat source.

Also, if you leave, even for a short period of time, turn off the stove. Experts say you should always stay in the kitchen if you are frying, grilling or broiling food.