Child Discharged After Being Hospitalized for Second-Degree Burn - KiiiTV.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

Child Discharged After Being Hospitalized for Second-Degree Burns

Posted: Updated:
CORPUS CHRISTI (Kiii News) - An 11-month old child who was hospitalized Thursday after scalding water left him with second-degree burns to his chest, arm and leg, was discharged from Driscoll Children's Hospital Friday.

Maverick Chism was reportedly placed in a high chair at his local daycare when he pulled a crock pot that is used to heat bottles, spilling the hot water on his body.

Maverick's mother, Winter Chism, provided 3News with pictures of his burns that were taken on Friday. She said he seems to be doing much better and will not require any skin grafts.

Kiii News Reporter Brian Burns has been following Maverick's story and discovered that the state agency responsible for daycares has a long list of criticisms from inspectors.

According to the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services website, the A-Plus Daycare and Learning Center on Northwest Boulevard in Calallen has had 23 deficiencies cited during 15 inspections in the past two years. Among the discrepancies noted by inspectors was poor self control when an employee used ear pulling to discipline children; failing to maintain a sign-in, sign-out system; play equipment in disrepair; and a safety notation that described chairs for children stacked too high against the wall, where children could get hurt climbing on them.

Daycares are generally inspected once a year unless there are complaints from parents. 3News contacted A-Plus Daycare and were told to talk to the businesses attorney, but they did not provide a name of that attorney.

Maverick Chism's mother said she is seeking an attorney to pursue legal action against the daycare.

If you would like to check the record of any daycare, you can find visit the state's website by clicking here.
  • Youth Group Helps Cleanup Park

    Youth Group Helps Cleanup Park

    Friday, August 22 2014 12:32 AM EDT2014-08-22 04:32:20 GMT
    The Tobacco Prevention Control Coalition held a cleanup at Collier Park. They were there to pickup discarded cigarette butts.More >>
    The Tobacco Prevention Control Coalition held a cleanup at Collier Park. They were there to pickup discarded cigarette butts.More >>
  • Trailer Crashes Into House

    Trailer Crashes Into House

    Friday, August 22 2014 12:24 AM EDT2014-08-22 04:24:32 GMT
    It was quite the scare for one 11-year-old boy Thursday evening after a trailer crashed into the home he was staying in.More >>
    It was quite the scare for one 11-year-old boy Thursday evening after a trailer crashed into the home he was staying in.More >>
  • Proposed Wind Farm Causes Concern

    Proposed Wind Farm Causes Concern

    Friday, August 22 2014 12:19 AM EDT2014-08-22 04:19:27 GMT
    What organizers described as a grass roots meeting aimed at organizing opposition to the placement of a wind farm on the southside of town was held Thursday Night at the Corpus Christi Country Club.More >>
    What organizers described as a grass roots meeting aimed at organizing opposition to the placement of a wind farm on the southside of town was held Thursday Night at the Corpus Christi Country Club.More >>