First Public Meeting to Discuss Proposed Memorial Hospital Repla - KiiiTV.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

First Public Meeting to Discuss Proposed Memorial Hospital Replacement

Posted: Updated:
CORPUS CHRISTI (Kiii News) -  Residents got their first look Monday at a $325 million plan to replace the aging Christus Spohn Memorial Hospital and turn it into a state-of-the-art outpatient facility.

The first of four public meetings regarding the proposal kicked off at about 5:30 p.m. at the Hilltop Community Center in Annaville. Kiii News Reporter Mike DaSilva went Live from that location with the details.

Residents who attended the meeting were able to get information on how the project could affect them and had the opportunity to ask questions about the project.

The plan calls for the trauma center to be move to the Christus Spohn Hospital Shoreline campus. That campus would also see improvements. As far as the new outpatient facility, it would be constructed at the site of Memorial Hospital and would be named the Dr. Hector P. Garcia Family Health Center.

The outpatient facility would offer comprehensive care and chronic condition management for things like diabetes and heart failure. There would also be pharmacy services and wellness, prevention and education services.

"At the Memorial campus site, we are proposing building an ultra-modern primary care health center," said Katy Kiser of Christus Spohn Health System. "This isn't just a little doc in the box. This is a major health center that can apply the appropriate care things like congestive heart failure diabetes management."

Memorial Hospital would continue to operate until the new facility is completed. Any changes will have to be presented to the Nueces County Hospital District and approved by County Commissioners since the county actually owns the building.

The Memorial Hospital campus is more than 50 years old and has major structural issues. The estimated cost to replace the existing hospital facility would have been $400 million. The proposed plan would take three-five years to complete.

There will also be meetings held each day this week until Thursday in the different precincts in Nueces County. Tuesday's meeting is scheduled to take place at 5:30 p.m. at the Comfort Suites on Padre Island on Windward Drive.

  • Benefit Held for 6 Year old Boy who was Allegedly Killed by Mother's Boyfriend

    Benefit Held for 6 Year old Boy who was Allegedly Killed by Mother's Boyfriend

    There was an overwhelming show of support for the family of 6 year old Xadrian Martinez on Saturday. Just days after Xadrian tragically died, his family, friends and even complete strangers have come together to help raise money for funeral costs. Suzie Anguiano who stopped by to buy a barbeque plate said, "it's unfair that it happened to him. We want to help and support in any way that we can because we have kids of our own and if it was our kids we want the same turn out." A BBQ benefit w...More >>
    There was an overwhelming show of support for the family of 6 year old Xadrian Martinez on Saturday. Just days after Xadrian tragically died, his family, friends and even complete strangers have come together to help raise money for funeral costs. Suzie Anguiano who stopped by to buy a barbeque plate said, "it's unfair that it happened to him. We want to help and support in any way that we can because we have kids of our own and if it was our kids we want the same turn out." A BBQ benefit w...More >>
  • BBQ Benefit for 6-Year-Old Boy Killed

    BBQ Benefit for 6-Year-Old Boy Killed

    Saturday, August 30 2014 6:00 PM EDT2014-08-30 22:00:16 GMT
    A local car club called 361 along with friends and family are holding a benefit for the 6-year-old boy that was killed earlier this week.According to police the boy's stepfather 27-year-old Albert Villarreal struck young Xadrian Martinez after he soiled his clothing reportedly, Villarreal then grabbed the boy by the neck until he was unconscious and then slammed him into a refrigerator to try to revive him. EMS crews had been called out after the boy reportedly began having seizures. They rus...More >>
    A local car club called 361 along with friends and family are holding a benefit for the 6-year-old boy that was killed earlier this week.According to police the boy's stepfather 27-year-old Albert Villarreal struck young Xadrian Martinez after he soiled his clothing reportedly, Villarreal then grabbed the boy by the neck until he was unconscious and then slammed him into a refrigerator to try to revive him. EMS crews had been called out after the boy reportedly began having seizures. They rus...More >>
  • Former Presidents Clinton and Bush to launch new initiative

    Former Presidents Clinton and Bush to launch new initiative

    Saturday, August 30 2014 5:00 PM EDT2014-08-30 21:00:09 GMT
    (CNN) -- Former Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush are going to join forces for a new initiative aimed at helping to give leaders better skills to solve problems.The presidents will appear together at an event in Washington on Sept. 8th to launch the Presidential Scholars Program.Organizers are billing this as a first of its kind partnership because not only will this involve the foundations run by Clinton and Bush but also will include the George Herbert Walker Bush and Lyndon Baines...More >>
    (CNN) -- Former Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush are going to join forces for a new initiative aimed at helping to give leaders better skills to solve problems.The presidents will appear together at an event in Washington on Sept. 8th to launch the Presidential Scholars Program.Organizers are billing this as a first of its kind partnership because not only will this involve the foundations run by Clinton and Bush but also will include the George Herbert Walker Bush and Lyndon Baines...More >>