NUECES COUNTY, Texas — We have an update to a tragic story we brought to you back in May. The mother of the one-year-old girl who was found unresponsive and later died has been arrested.
23-year-old Briana Garcia was taken into custody Wednesday on a charge of injury to a child. Police say she was arrested near the 5400 block of South Padre Island Drive.
Officers were dispatched to an apartment on Weber Road for a call about an unconscious child on May 10. That's where they found the baby girl who was transported to a hospital where she later died.
At the start of the investigation, detectives with the Criminal Investigation Division Family Violence Section found enough cause to arrest Garcia's boyfriend, 31-year-old Mark Hernandez. He was arrested on the same charges.
Garcia's bail is set at $500,000.
For the latest updates on coronavirus in the Coastal Bend, click here.
More from 3News on KIIITV.com:
- Fish cleaner finds dolphin, turtle inside a shark in Port Aransas
- Dia De Los Muertos festival is back for 2021
- Texas leads nation in deaths caused by teen drivers
- PRIDE month festivities back in Corpus Christi for 2021
- IRS: Texans affected by winter storm have until June 15 to file taxes
- Ages 12 and older can now get the COVID-19 vaccine in Nueces County. Here's what you need to know.