CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — The City of Corpus Christi is preparing for hurricane season, with one of the top concerns being safety.
If residents have to evacuate, knowing the correct steps can be paramount to community safety.
The City is working with local organizations, transit, emergency management and the Corpus Christi Independent School District to help residents experience the evacuation process Friday.
"It's just important that the public come out even if you're not going to evacuate on the bus to come out and see the process," said Billy Delgado, Emergency Management Coordinator for Corpus Christi. "It's very important to know how the city is going to operate to make sure that everybody gets out of town if they don't have transportation out of town. So we're very proactive.
Volunteers will act as evacuees needing transportation to safe locations throughout the state. The City is encouraging volunteers to bring their pets but they must be on a leash.
If you're interested in participating, residents can join the Emergency Management Team at 2 p.m. at the Corpus Christi Gym at 3202 Cabaniss Parkway this Friday.
More from 3News on KIIITV.com:
- Will electric vehicles cause strain on the Texas power grid? Transportation experts say no
- Nonprofit helps serve the community amidst tampon shortages
- Mary Carroll High School alumni say goodbye to the old campus, "Once a Tiger, always a Tiger"
- Family waits months to receive death certificate from NuCo Medical Examiner's Office
- 'Incredibly emotional': Corpus Christi father, daughter funeral service workers on front lines in Uvalde
- Need to beat the heat? Here is a list of cooling centers in Corpus Christi
- Coastal Bend Pride Center continues to grow their efforts and resources
Want to send us a news tip?
Put your name and contact information below so we can get in touch with you about your story should we have questions or need more information. We realize some stories are sensitive in nature. Let us know if you'd like to remain anonymous.
If you do not have a photo/video to submit, just click "OK" to skip that prompt.