CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — The Health Department received their shipment of the Novavax vaccine about a week ago for the public.
The vaccine has a unique formulation with 'traditional technology' that is used only for people who have not been vaccinated yet. This traditional technology is also in the Hepatitis B shot that most of us have received.
Interim Assistant Health Director Dr. Kim Onufrak said, so far, only one person has gotten the Novavax shot.
"The report was, it was because it was closer to nature, so it is for those who are wanting something more natural," Dr. Onufrak explained. "Not that the other three vaccines that we have aren't natural, it is newer technology and people were unsure of it, but we did see how well it worked."
Dr. Onufrak hopes more people warm up to the vaccine and roll up their sleeves. Novavax is available at the Health District and all of their vaccine distribution sites.
For more information about vaccine distribution and locations, visit the Nueces County Public Health District's website here.
More from 3News on KIIITV.com:
- Aransas Pass Police kill man after kidnapping, car chase, shootout
- Harbor Bridge developer still not commenting on TxDOT order to halt construction
- 'It's incredible': Family of Selena talks new music from the Queen of Tejano on Good Morning America
- Corpus Christi family looks for answers after father of two was found dead inside burned SUV in San Antonio
- Corpus Christi LGBTQ+ community concerned stigma will grow as monkeypox virus spreads
Want to send us a news tip?
Put your name and contact information below so we can get in touch with you about your story should we have questions or need more information. We realize some stories are sensitive in nature. Let us know if you'd like to remain anonymous.
If you do not have a photo/video to submit, just click "OK" to skip that prompt.