CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — Detectives with the Corpus Christi Police Department are investigating the death of a man who was in law enforcement custody, officials with CCPD said.
Just before 6 a.m. Monday, Felipe Garcia, 31, was being taken to the Nueces County Sheriff's Office from the City Detention Center where he had been for about three hours after being arrested for public intoxication, officers said.
When the transport van arrived at the Nueces County Courthouse at 901 Leopard, the prisoner was found unconscious due to some sort of medical episode, officials said.
Medics were called and the prisoner was taken to a nearby hospital where he died, officials said.
The Nueces County Medical Examiner is waiting for results of a toxicology report and other medical records in order to determine the cause of death.
For the latest updates on coronavirus in the Coastal Bend, click here.
- Recent survey says Corpus Christi is a 'hidden gem' for vacationing
- Artificial reefs in Rockport help improve the oyster recycling program
- Daughter of Hector P. Garcia voices concern over Senate Bill 3 which makes KKK, Civil Rights teachings non-mandatory
- Surge in COVID-19 cases leads to hospital bed shortage in Kleberg County, disaster declaration issued
- Study shows 66% of school-age kids do not have COVID-19 immunity