CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — Saturday is 'National Peace Officers Memorial Day’, in honor of this residents gathered at the Nueces County Courthouse Fallen Officers Memorial to remember the lives lost in the line of duty.
The event was organized by Annie Saavedra, the daughter of Port of Corpus Christi Police Officer James Saavedra who was killed back in December of 2007.
Michelle McCollum, the wife of Alan McCollum, the most recent Corpus Christi Police Officer to lose his life in the line of duty, was also in attendance.
Those who attended the event said a prayer and then released balloons into the air to honor the fallen officers.
For the latest updates on coronavirus in the Coastal Bend, click here.
More from 3News on KIIITV.com:
- Corpus Christi native publishes book to help normalize disabilities, becomes best selling author
- City opens second COVID-19 vaccine location in anticipation of large crowds for new age group
- Island Report: Destruction of Waves Resort is underway
- Man wanted for child sex crimes in Florida arrested in Nueces County. Officials say he was headed for Mexico.
- Joe Gazin announces he will retire from KIII-TV at the end of May
- Upcoming COVID-19 vaccine clinics in the Coastal Bend. Here's what you need to know.