CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — Tropical Storm Nicholas is sitting just off of the coast of Corpus Christi.
The 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron, known as the Hurricane Hunters of the Air Force Reserve, is one-of-a-kind: the only Department of Defense organization still flying into tropical storms and hurricanes--since 1944.
Captain Jenny White joined Alan Holt to talk about how they conduct these flights and how the data they get can be used to forecast storms. Watch in full below.
More from 3News on KIIITV.com:
- 3News Hurricane Special: The History and Strength of the Corpus Christi Sea Wall
- Tropical Storm Nicholas nears the Texas coast
- LIST: Several school districts, including CCISD, cancelling classes due to Tropical Storm Nicholas
- Sandbag distribution held to help residents prepare for Tropical Storm Nicholas
- Tips to keep your pet calm during severe weather
- Garbage pick up to continue despite Tropical Storm Nicholas